9 Things to Know about IRS Notices and Letters
If you receive a letter or notice from the IRS, it will explain the reason for the correspondence and provide instructions. Many of these letters and notices can be dealt with simply, without having to call or visit an IRS office and simply giving us a call at Karla Dennis and Associates Inc. The notice you receive covers a very specific issue about your account or tax return. Generally, the IRS will send a notice if it believes you owe additional tax, are due a larger refund, if there is a question about your tax return or a need for additional information.
Each year, the IRS sends millions of notices and letters to taxpayers for many different reasons. Here are ten things you should know if one of those letters happen to show up in your inbox.
- Don’t panic. Most of the time you only need to respond to take care of a notice.
- There are a ton of reasons why the IRS may send a letters or notice. It typically is about a specific issue on your federal tax return or tax account. A notice may tell you about changes to your account or ask you for more information. It could also tell you that you must make a payment.
- Each notice has specific instructions about what you need to do. Most of the time it’s as simple as following the directions.
- You may get a notice that states the IRS has made a change or correction to your tax return. If you do, review the information and compare it with your original return.
- If you agree with the notice, you usually don’t need to reply unless it gives you other instructions or you need to make a payment.
- If you do not agree with the notice, it’s important for you to respond and let us help you with the issue so we may resolve the issue for you accordingly
- Keep copies of any notices you receive with your other tax records.
- The IRS sends letters and notices by mail. They do not contact people by email or social media to ask for personal or financial information.
- Remember – the IRS makes mistakes too.
If you do receive a letter and need further assistance please feel free to call our office at 800-878-4051 anytime so we may assist you accordingly!